Always makes me chuckle when some marketing guy talks, in early 2011, about how their software fully supports HTML5 when that set of APIs aren’t even due to meet a Candidate Recommendation stage until 2012 (some 4 YEARS late) and have a target of 2014 for completion. The Last Call for comments isn’t until May 2012 so it really seems like a very foolish brave statement to make.

At some point I’ll take a look to see exactly what subset of HTML5 APIs they’re currently supporting and at what specification snapshot level.


Amazon Kindle Color

January 18, 2011

Any rumors that Amazon are going to be launching an Amazon Kindle Color based on Qualcomm Mirasol display technology at around the same time as the Apple iPad2 release are completely unfounded.

Pity. I’d want one.

Playing catch up…

July 20, 2010

Haven’t posted for a while as I’ve started a new job and haven’t had as much time on my hands to do the write ups on this blog.

I have still been doing the occasional Project Euler problem and will catch up shortly. I’ve got another 18 solutions to write up here, with 27 lots of source code to push to GitHub…so stay tuned!

Today I got an IQTest puzzle on Facebook that I got wrong. I’ve considered it more and I still can’t see what the answer is – though I can tell you it’s not 22. I’m normally pretty good at this sort of thing but this one has me baffled. Maybe I’m over-thinking it or maybe I’m just getting plain dumber as time goes by…

Here’s the question.

Which number should replace the question mark? 14, 19, 22, 6 or 4?

13 8 3 7
4 1 5 1
8 10 9 2
46 32 26 3
14 ? 11 3

Any ideas?

My machine felt really sluggish today. Couldn’t put my finger on it. It was just slow. Task manager revealed nothing untoward. No aberrant AV processes. No rogue Diskeeper compaction processes. No excessive memory paging. Nothing. The machine looked fine.

I ran some of my Project Euler solutions as known benchmarks and found that they were taking 3.5 times as long as usual. What could be wrong?

Check the update history. Overnight my PC had run in a load of Important updates. 19 of them. Mostly Security updates for Vista, .NET SP1, Office 2007 and IE8. I’d left it on to do a weekly full AV scan last night and between 03:04 and 03:19 it had brought this little lot down, installed them and then had rebooted itself in order to apply these patches.

I feared the worst.

However, further investigation showed that although my PC was still using the High Performance power profile, the Maximum CPU was set to 0%. Yes. You’ve got it. ZERO PERCENT. Luckily this doesn’t mean don’t power up, it just drops it back to some sort of ultra conservative sleep mode. Did Restore Defaults for the Power Plan. It all came back to 100% and performance picked up again.

All was well in the world. Or, at least, on my PC.